Saturday, April 27, 2013

Life With a Corn - One More Time


Normally I would title my post as Week ---- and then number the week. This week is different. Baron is still battling corns, but we decided to change treatments. He has become so crippled when walking around the house, yard, etc. that we have to do something. The corn is huge! 
4/23/13
4/23/13 
2nd Corn-rear left paw - 4/23/13

4/23/13






















We ordered Jack's Gel. This is another treatment that is discussed on the facebook site, Greyhounds with Corns. It is a two step treatment. There is a gel that is placed on the corn once daily. The gel is left on for 30 to 60 minutes, then wiped off. The second step is to apply a pad softener once daily. Jack recommends hulling the corn, if possible, then applying the treatment.  We have been avoiding hulling, since the process was/is so painful to Baron. However, this original corn is so massive, and is protruding so much, and is as hard as a rock, that we made an appointment with the vet to get that sucker hulled. 

Oh man.....trip to the vet and hulling proved to be quite eventful. To prepare the corn for hulling, I soaked a paper towel with water and placed it in a sandwich bag. I then put Baron's paw in the bag and put his Therapaws boot on over it. We drove to the vet and soaked his pad at the same time. Dr. Murrell, our vet, tried to numb his pad first before hulling. In the past, it has helped with the pain. Baron was having none of it! She couldn't even touch his pad or look at it, without him screaming. After much discussion, it was decided that Baron would be given a light - 'twilight'- anesthetic. I did NOT want to do this, but the corn needed to come out, and the alternative was to traumatize the poor boy by proceeding with the numbing. After getting Baron ready with catheter, etc. the corn removal only took a few minutes. Voila! His big, nasty, evil corn was out!
4/26/13
4/26/13
4/26/13
4/26/13






















This has been the largest corn so far. So very hard, and look at it---HUGE!!! Here is what was left behind.
4/26/13
An enormous crater!!! We let him recuperate on Friday evening. He was just fine by that evening, but I did not want to mess with his foot so soon after the hulling. Saturday morning I did the first gel treatment. I applied the gel to both sites. I filled in the crater, and painted the gel on the second corn.  It stayed on for an hour, then I wiped it off. I will do the pad polish later on in the evening. The gel has a very strong odor. I thought he would put up some resistance because of the smell, but he napped while I applied the gel and while it dried.  

We are hopeful with this new treatment. We will not be able to continue to hull these corns because he has to be sedated and we are not going to put Baron through that each time.  I realize there are many people out there who had success with Lori's treatment. Believe me when I say I wish we were a part of that crowd. We were diligent in our treatment, even had the treatment tweaked, but we did not see results. If we had continued with the treatment? We were not willing to keep it up after 3 + months and not only one huge corn, but a newly developed one too. I do think Lori's treatment works......too many people have proof it does........just not for Baron. I would still recommend others to give it a try...it might work for their dog.

Many people are reporting good results with Jack's Gel. Keeping paws and fingers crossed this new treatment does the trick. 



No comments:

Post a Comment